Honeywell Safety Products
provides a range of personal protective equipment for workers exposed to mould in a variety of industrial environments.
Moulds are fungi that can be found anywhere, growing on virtually any substance and requiring only moisture, oxygen and an organic source to thrive. Mould reproduces by creating tiny spores that continually float through the air. Workers exposed to the spores are at risk of developing respiratory problems.
Mould can also damage the structural integrity of wood-framed buildings when it starts eating away at materials.
According to the Department of Health, Victoria (2011), a mould outbreak can cause serious health issues including nasal congestion, sneezing, cough and respiratory infections and can exacerbate asthma and other existing allergic conditions. Safety precautions must be taken prior to removal of mould from any environment.
The Victorian Government recommends a P1 or P2 respirator to be worn to protect against particles that may be in the air, while the NSW government recommends a High Efficiency Particulate Filter (HEPA Filter) with a P2 or P3 rating.
The Honeywell 3000 half-mask respirators featuring a P2/P3 filter are suitable for use in environments where mould poses a threat.
Key features of Honeywell 3000 half-mask respirators:
- Made of lightweight silicone, which prevents oxidation and elasticity loss
- Large, pliable sealing area allows for a secure fit
- Oversized inhalation ports enable lower breathing resistance to enhance wearer comfort
- Angled, self-adjusting nose bridge allows safety or prescription eyewear to be accommodated
- Computer designed face piece allows optimal speech communication without the aid of a speaking diaphragm
- Compatible with Honeywell threaded cartridges
- Certified to AS/NZS 1716:2012 Licence No: 0952
To assist in respirator selection, Honeywell Safety Products recommends consulting AS/NZS 1715:2003 - Selection use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment, in conjunction with safety requirements with the relevant body in the state or territory.