In a sun protection guide
, Skin Cancer and Outdoor Work: A Guide for Employers
, the Cancer Council Australia have identified occupations that are at risk due to outdoor nature of the work.
Without the necessary sun protection measures, these outdoor workers put themselves are at a high risk of developing skin cancer:
- building and construction workers
- telecommunications and utilities workers
- swimming pool and beach lifeguards
- police and traffic officers
- agricultural, farming and horticultural workers
- landscape and gardening workers
- fisheries workers
- road workers
- municipal employees
- postal workers
- dockyard, port and harbour workers
- catering workers
- outdoor events workers
- physical education teachers and outdoor sports coaches
- forestry and logging workers
- ski instructors and lift operators
- mining and earth resources workers
- taxi, bus and truck drivers and delivery and courier services
- labour hire company workers
According to Cancer Council Australia, outdoor workers are exposed to sun for extended periods of time and receive more UV radiation than people who work indoors.
So what can employers do to reduce the amount of time outdoor workers spend in the sun?
One of the most simple solutions is to provide appropriate shaded areas where possible.
The Council recommends some steps to protect workers against sun damage where sunshades are concerned:
Ozsun Shade Systems
- Work and take breaks in the shade. Where no shade exists, use temporary portable shade.
- Plan to work indoors or in the shade during the middle of the day when UV radiation levels are strongest.
- Plan to do outdoor work tasks early in the morning or later in the afternoon when UV radiation levels are lower.
- Share outdoor tasks and rotate staff so the same person is not always out in the sun.
provide stylish and contemporary sun shades including pergola awnings, shade awnings, shade structures, blinds and commercial umbrellas.
Retractable pergola awnings
provide optimum sun, wind and rain protection. The pergola awnings are engineered to withstand wind speeds up to 117km per hour (W32).
Shade awnings such as a retractable folding arm
model is ideal for patios, decks, cafes or restaurants, providing outdoor workers such as caterers and event workers from harmful UV.
Ozsun's awnings range includes folding arm awnings, conservatory awnings, pivot arm awnings, straight drop awnings, automatic awnings, convertible awnings, fixed awnings (carbolite, canopy).
Ozsun's commercial umbrellas
are 100% weather and UV proof and available in cantilevered, centre mounted, retractable and portable shade umbrellas.