My shortlist (0 item)

    MEA calls for swift action against faulty phone charger sellers

    Master Electricians Australia

    Master Electricians Australia (MEA) has extended its support to the nationwide demand for action against the sale of faulty phone chargers following the electrocution of a woman at her home on the New South Wales central coast last month. The 28-year-old was found dead with burns to her ears and chest caused by a dodgy phone charger.

    After this incident, there has been a steady increase in public pressure for authorities to take swift action against any company or individual caught selling illegal electrical products. MEA spokesperson Andrew Bailey explains that these products do not meet safety standards, and can cause electrocution, as well as serious damage to other electrical devices.

    Most homes have at least three or four different types of chargers used for smart phones and laptop computers. According to Mr Bailey, consumers must buy these electrical products only from an accredited dealer instead of discount stores or from online deals. While these discounts may initially save a few dollars, buyers are only risking their own lives as well as the lives of their loved ones.

    The cheap, illegal versions are made from low quality plastic, which can melt, and many have no insulation on plug pins or an approval mark, making them extremely dangerous.

    MEA advises consumers to buy approved chargers that adhere to Australian standards, and carry Australia’s C-Tick electrical compliance label, usually found near the plug pins.

    Please correct the errors and try again.

    Related News

    View All
    Back to Top