Master Electricians Australia (MEA) has extended its wholehearted support for the Queensland Government's new public awareness campaign designed to warn people about the dangers of working in ceiling spaces.

MEA Chief Executive Officer Malcolm Richards said many homeowners were unaware of the electrical safety risks including the risk of electrocution associated with entering roof spaces.

According to Mr Richards, the tragic loss of young lives during the implementation of the home insulation program has reinforced these risks in ceiling spaces.

Advising homeowners and residents to avoid climbing into their ceiling space unless it was absolutely necessary, he said that these spaces held some very real and serious dangers from old cables or loose electrical fittings that may have degraded over time.

Based on the work being done for repairing foil insulation problems, MEA has found that one in five homes has some form of existing fault. A trip into the ceiling space can too easily turn to tragedy if the resident comes into contact with a loose electrical fitting. Dangers also exist in the form of spiders, snakes, asbestos, dust or heat.

However, if it is really necessary to enter the ceiling space, one should turn off the power supply and steer clear of any solar power cabling, which will still be live during the day. Mr Richards also urged homeowners to consider having safety switches installed on every circuit of their home, in order to prevent electrical injuries and fatalities.

Mr Richards congratulated the State Government on following through with one of the key recommendations of the Coroner's report into the insulation fatalities.