Waterco recently unveiled the next generation of its centrifugal pre-filter, the MultiCyclone. Engineers from Waterco have taken the MultiCyclone technology a step further and have developed the MultiCyclone Plus, a vertically mounted, all-in-one pre-filtration and filtration unit that helps to save between 7,000 and 10,000 litres of water every year.
MultiCyclone Plus centrifugal filters are Australia designed and use advanced hydro cyclone technology to reduce the footprint of the filtration system. It combines all of the features of its predecessor with an inbuilt cartridge filter – and the streamlined design allows the entire pool filtration system to be installed vertically, on top of a standard pool pump.
MultiCyclone Plus centrifugal pre-filters have the capability to filter small or large capacity pools, and in doing so will help to save water and energy plus while reducing maintenance.
These centrifugal pre-filters occupy virtually half the footprint of a 24-inch sand filter, and by placing the MultiCyclone on the top of the filter, it takes up the footprint of the pump, meaning it is more hydraulically efficient. The MultiCyclone Plus’s hydraulic efficiency means that a small ¾ horsepower or 0.61kW pump is capable of circulating water through it. Additionally, it only requires simple, minimal plumbing.
The MultiCyclone Plus increases the capacity of the 40 square foot filter cartridge by five times, equivalent to a 200 square foot filter cartridge. Its centrifugal section filter pre-filters up to 80 per cent of the dirt which would normally go into the filter, and drains it out.
This means the MultiCyclone Plus cuts most of the dirt that clogs pool filters, reducing the frequency of filter maintenance by up to 80 per cent. Also, it only takes 15 litres of water to flush the MultiCyclone Plus, helping to save time and money for pool owners.
Waterco’s MultiCyclone technology has been independently tested by NSF International, and tests showed that the centrifugal pre-filter can help to save swimming pool and spa operators both time and money by drastically reducing filter maintenance. Furthermore, the MultiCyclone can extend the life of filter media or cartridges by decreasing the filter’s incoming dirt load.
This year, the MultiCyclone was named the Environmental Product of the Year at the SPLASH! Environmental Awards for the swimming pool, spa and aquatics industries.
Key benefits of the new MultiCyclone Plus pre-filter include:
Improved pool performance
- The reduced workload of the filter cartridge greatly improves pool circulation and allows vacuuming of the pool without over burdening the filter cartridge
- Minimal water is required to main the MultiCyclone plus
- Only 15 litres of water is required to flush its sediment chamber
- Saves between 7,000 and 10,000 litres of water per year compared to sand filtration systems
- Saves on pool chemicals and pool heating
- When the air release valve is opened, the flow of water through the filter cartridge flushes large debris down through its sediment chamber
Ease of maintenance
- MultiCyclone Plus offers the environmental benefits of cartridge filtration without the inconvenience of frequent filter cartridge removal, cleaning and replacement
- Offers similar convenience to a sand filter without the need for excessive volumes of water to backwash the filter
- UV and corrosion proof
- Small and easy to handle
- Requires minimal cleaning
- Cost effective to replace
- Unique size to the MultiCyclone plus