Standards Australia has announced new updates to Australian Standard AS1657:2018 (fixed platforms, walkways, stairways and ladders - design, construction and installation). The changes include clarifications to certain words and phrases and updated drawings to align with the relevant clauses. While this review has addressed some issues found in AS1657:2013, Standards Australia says "the bulk of the Standard is not affected by this revision".
What has changed?
- Clarification to the word ‘level’, replacing it with less ambiguous words. Definitions for ladder flight and landings have been revised to replace the word ‘level’.
- Figure 5.4(b) has been revised to align with the text of the Clause relating to rectangular handrails.
- Clauses 5.6.4 and 5.6.5 have been revised.
- Clause 7.3.6(a) is accompanied by a new figure, which has been included to clarify the ‘length of the landing’.
- Figures 7.5 and 7.9 have been revised to align with the text of the relevant clauses.
However, these changes will have little impact on Sayfa Group products or installation.
But, the updated Standard from AS1657-2013 to AS1657:2018 will affect a large part of Sayfa’s brochures, manuals, literature and website as the Standard is referenced in all of the technical information. This is currently being updated to reflect the new Standard.
To get a preview and purchase a copy of the new AS1657-2018 Standard, please visit the SAI Global website.