2015 Northern Territory Architecture Award Winners
2015 ACT Architecture Award Winners
2015 Victorian Architecture Award Winners
2015 Tasmanian Architecture Award Winners
2015 NSW Architecture Award Winners
2015 SA Architecture Award Winners
2015 WA Architecture Award Winners
The Australian Institute of Architects (AIA) has announced the winners of the Queensland State Architecture Awards for 2015 in a year dominated by nature inspired architecture.
The jury awarded 52 accolades to 43 projects across 14 categories, which included a massive nine prizes that were handed out in the Residential Architecture—Houses (New) category.
The Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital by Conrad Gargett Lyons (CGL) and The University of Queensland Global Change Institute (QGCI) by HASSELL architects—a former Sustainability Awards Winner—were the big winners from the night, both collecting multiple prizes.
CGL’s nature inspired hospital took the F D G Stanley Award for Public Architecture along with the Karl Langer Award for Urban Design and the Art & Architecture Prize and was called by the jury as a benchmark in paediatric healthcare for the state.
“Working between the perspective of a child and the scale of the city, the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital transforms a large and complex piece of healthcare infrastructure into a series of framed moments which both surprise and delight,” says the jury.
“The hospital establishes a new benchmark in paediatric healthcare for the state.”
“Exemplary in its unwavering philosophy of integrating art into every aspect of its fabric, function and ethos, this building is a gallery, a canvas and a theatre, whose focus is to bring delight and diversion to the lives of sick children and the people who care for them.”
HASSELL architects’ QGCI was awarded the R G Suter Award for Educational Architecture, the G H M Addison Award for Interior Architecture and the all-important Harry Marks Award for Sustainable Architecture.
Planchonella House in tropical north Queensland by Jesse Bennett Architect Builder won the hotly contested Robin Dods Award for Residential Architecture – Houses (New), and like The Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital and the Global Change Institute was celebrated by the jury for its role in facilitating engagement between occupants and the environment.
“Tucked into the rainforest along a ridge edge of Mt Whitfield, the building humbly engages the occupants with the environment,” the jury notes.
“Pockets of space are carefully crafted and detailed, creating places that are both calming and invigorating, with elements of quiet delight.”
All projects that received an Award or Named Award will now progress to the National Awards to be announced in November.
Full list of winning projects:
Beatrice Hutton Award – Triffid by Aardvarc. Photography by Mick Hellen
- Commendation – Bells Reach Sales / Vision Centre and Café by Sparks Architects
- Commendation – Royal Flying Doctor Service – Charleville Base by DM2 Architecture
R G Suter Award – The University of Queensland Global Change Institute by HASSELL. Photography by Peter Bennetts.
- Award – St Sebastian’s Primary School by Elizabeth Watson Brown Architects and Architectus
- Award – The University of the Sunshine Coast Collaborative Futures Building by HASSELL
- Award – Griffith Health Centre by Cox Rayner Architects in association with Hames Sharley
- Commendation – Sir Samuel Griffith Centre by Cox Rayner Architects
- Commendation – Arethusa College Spring Hill Campus by Ceccato Hall + Associates Architects
- Commendation – Administration and Library, Woorabinda State School by Kevin O’Brien Architects
Robin Gibson Award – Chapel of St Peter’s Lutheran College, Indooroopilly by Dr Karl Langer
Don Roderick Award – Queensland Rail Roma Street Heritage Building – Stage 1 Stabilisation by Architectus. Photography by Christopher Frederick Jones
- Award – Goddard Building Rooftop Expansion by Conrad Gargett
G H M Addison Award – The University of Queensland Global Change Institute by HASSELL. Photography by Peter Bennetts.
- Award – Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital by Conrad Gargett Lyons
- Award – BVN Brisbane Studio by BVN
- Commendation – TRYP on Constance by Shane Denman Architects
- Commendation – Postgraduate Centre for Training Townsville by Architectus
- Commendation – Kent Road by bureau^proberts
F D G Stanley Award – Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital by Conrad Gargett Lyons. Photography by Christopher Frederick Jones
- Award – Gold Coast Aquatic Centre by Cox Rayner Architects
- Commendation – The Armitage Centre by James Cubitt Architects
- Commendation – Bellbowrie by bureau^proberts
RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURE – HOUSES (ALTERATIONS AND ADDITIONS)
Queensland Chapter Award – Drury Street by Marc&Co. Photography by Marc&Co
- Award – Sandgate Pier House by Vokes and Peters (with Owen and Vokes and Peters)
- Award – Paddington House by Architectus
- Commendation – West End Cottage by Vokes and Peters (with Owen and Vokes and Peters)
- Commendation – Living Room by Aardvarc
RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURE – HOUSES (NEW)
Robin Dods Award – Planchonella House by Jesse Bennett Architect Builder. Photography by Sean Fennessy.
- Award – The Edge by Charles Wright Architect
- Award – House in Noosa by MORQ
- Commendation – Davenport / Wilson House by Shane Thompson Architects
- Commendation – Gracemere House by Cox Rayner Architects
- Commendation – Christian Street House by James Russell Architect
- Commendation – Northern Rivers Beach House by refresh*design
- Commendation – Jule House by Claire Humphreys + Kevin O’Brien Architects
- Commendation – Backyard House by JOE ADSETT ARCHITECTS
RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURE – MULTIPLE HOUSING
Job & Froud Award – Silt by bureau^proberts. Photography by Christopher Frederick Jones
- Award – M&A by bureau^proberts
- Commendation – Lake Weyba Duplex by Robinson Architects
- Commendation – Arena Apartments by Ellivo Architects
- Commendation – Attewell Street by bureau^proberts
- Commendation – JQ1 by Push
SMALL PROJECT ARCHITECTURE
Hayes & Scott Award – Frew Park Arena Play Structure by Guymer Bailey Architects. Photography by Scott Burrows
- Commendation – St Vincent de Paul Inala Family Support Centre by Push
Harry Marks Award – The University of Queensland Global Change Institute by HASSELL. Photography by Peter Bennetts.
- Award – Sir Samuel Griffith Centre by Cox Rayner Architects
- Commendation – The University of the Sunshine Coast Collaborative Futures Building by HASSELL
Karl Langer Award – Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital by Conrad Gargett Lyons. Photography by Christopher Frederick Jones
- Award – M&A by bureau^proberts
COLORBOND® AWARD FOR STEEL ARCHITECTURE
- Award – Fitzgibbon Community Centre by Richard Kirk Architect. Photography by Scott Burrows
The Australian Institute of Architects Prize for Art & Architecture (Qld) – Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital by Conrad Gargett Lyons