Thirty-three projects have been shortlisted for the 2017 Australian Urban Design Awards.
Established in 1996, the annual awards recognise Australia’s best contemporary urban design, and encourage cities, towns and communities across the country to strive for best practice.
Among the shortlisted projects is Tonsley Innovation District by Oxigen, Woods Bagot, KBR, WSP, Tridente Architects and RenewalSA. The South Australian project represents Australia’s first ‘innovation district’. The space brings together leading institutions and companies to connect with start-ups, business incubators and accelerators, with a focus on innovation, sustainability and job creation. The project has been shortlisted in the Delivered Outcome – Large Scale category.
Another shortlisted project is the Woods Bagot-designed Wynyard Walk. The nine-metre wide, 180-metre long tunnel in Sydney allows pedestrians – as many as 20,000 every hour – to get from Wynyard Station to the Barangaroo waterfront in approximately six minutes. Solid materials such as concrete and stone dominate the design, while lighter elements like glass and metal form canopies that act as filters for both natural and artificial sources of light. The project has been shortlisted for the Delivered Outcome – Small Scale category.
Other shortlisted projects include the green-roofed Orange Regional Museum by Crone Architects, and Tanderrum Bridge by John Wardle Architects and NADAAA.
The winners will be announced at an awards ceremony at the State Library of Queensland on 25 October.
View the shortlist below:
DELIVERED OUTCOME – LARGE SCALE
- Elizabeth Quay by Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority, ARM Architecture and Taylor Cullity Lethlean (WA)
- EY Centre, 200 George Street by FJMT in collaboration with Mirvac (NSW)Photography by Gareth Hayman
- Junction Place, Wodonga by ASPECT Studios, City of Wodonga (Vic)
- Maitland Levee by McGregor Coxall, CHROFI, Northrop, City Plan Hertiage, MBM, MGAC, JBA, Alluvium (NSW)
- Soho Village by Clarke Hopkins Clarke (Vic)
- Tonsley Innovation District by Oxigen, Woods Bagot, KBR, WSP, Tridente Architects and RenewalSA (SA)Photography by Dan Schultz
DELIVERED OUTCOME – SMALL SCALE
- Bowden Town Square by Aspect Studios (SA)Image: Sweet Lime Photo
- Brooke Street Pier by Ireneinc Planning and Urban Design (Tas)
- Fitzroy Gardens Redevelopment by City of Melbourne, City Design Studio (Vic)
- Henley Square Redevelopment by TCL and Troppo Architects (SA)
- Monash University Caulfield Campus Green by TCL (Vic)
- Orange Regional Museum by Crone (NSW)Photography by Troy Pearson
- Sixth Street Revitalization Project by Jensen Plus and The Rural City of Murray Bridge (SA)
- Tanderrum Bridge by John Wardle Architects and NADAAA in collaboration (Vic)Photography by Kristoffer Paulsen
- Windsor Plaza by ASPECT Studios, City of Stonnington (Vic)
- Wynyard Walk by Woods Bagot (NSW) Photography by Trevor Mein
POLICIES, PROGRAMS AND CONCEPTS – LARGE SCALE
- Better Placed - An integrated design policy for the built environment of New South Wales by Government Architect New South Wales (NSW)
- Future Parade - K2K Kensington to Kingsford Town Centres by JBA, Stewart Hollenstein, Arcadia, Jess Scully, Transport Planning Partnership (NSW)
- Hyper Active Transport: A Road to Rapid Decarbonisation by Peter Willett AssociatesImage: Petter Willet Associates
- K2K (Kensington to Kingsford Town Centres) by JMD design, Hill Thalis, Bennett and Trimble (NSW)
- New World City Design Guide: Buildings that Breathe by Brisbane City Council in collaboration with Urbis and Arkhefield (Qld)
- Rockhampton Riverside and CBD Redevelopment by Urbis (Qld)Image: Urbis
- Smart Seeds by GHD
- Sydney Light Rail: Urban Renewal Strategy and Reference Design by Hassell (NSW)
- Sydney Metro Northwest: Urban Design and Corridor Landscape Plan by Hassell (NSW)
- Transport for NSW Urban Design Guidelines by Transport for New South Wales Precincts and Urban Design team (NSW)
- Western Metropolitan Regional Trails Strategic Plan by Fitzgerald Frisby Landscape Architecture (Vic) Image: Fitzgerald Frisby Landscape Architecture
POLICIES, PROGRAMS AND CONCEPTS – SMALL SCALE
- Fremantle 2029 Transformational Moves – Cox Architecture and City of Fremantle (WA)
- Montario Quarter by LandCorp Urbis (WA)
- Parramatta Civic Link by SJB and ASPECT Studios (NSW)Image: SJB
- Telopea Master Plan by Urbis (NSW)
- The Freo Alternative by Australian Urban Design Research Centre (WA)
- Urban Design Framework for the ANU Union Court and University Avenue Precinct by Civitas Urban Design and Planning (ACT)Image: BVN