Australia’s leading flooring specialist, Quick Step offers a set of tips for choosing the right colours for the walls, floor and ceiling.
Colours influence the mood of a room, making it imperative that the right choices are made while selecting colour combinations for the wall, floor and ceiling. Also, combining furniture and floor colours is also critical in getting the mood and balance just right.
By mixing the colours of the wall, ceiling, floor and even the furniture, one can make a room seem larger, smaller, wider, narrower, deeper, higher, lighter or warmer.
Key tips for colour selection:
- A room with a light floor and light walls may appear extra wide but too many pale colours will make it cool and impersonal
- Dark walls in a room with a light floor and ceiling tend to emphasise the horizontal lines
- A dark floor and lighter ceiling with dark walls create a basement effect with the light only coming from above
- A light floor and ceiling with dark walls make a space seem narrower, deeper and taller
- A dark floor and dark ceiling with light walls make the room feel wider and lower
- Skirting with the same colour as the floor creates a spacious effect
- Skirting with the same colour as the walls makes the floor appear smaller
- Floor colour should be two shades lighter or a lot darker than the colour of the furniture
- Floor and furniture in the same colour will work only with a carpet in a different contrasting colour between them
- A floor in a neutral colour can be combined with furniture made of very dark wood such as walnut or very light furniture in white
- Furniture in light wood combined with pale walls and a light floor helps create a calm ambience in the home but may also become dull and monotonous
- Walls in warm and neutral tones make an attractive contrast with the floor
- Lighting is an important factor in the way colours show up - light colours reflect light and dark colours absorb light
is a leading Australian wholesale distributor of timber, bamboo, laminate and cork flooring. Quick Step flooring is available from Premium Floors.