Several custom and standard floor coverings were supplied by leading carpet manufacturer Godfrey Hirst Australia for various areas of the new Optus Stadium in Perth, WA.
Working in collaboration with global contractor Multiplex, architects Hassell Studio and Cox Architecture, and carpet contractor Masterfloors, the GH Commercial team provided a wide array of carpets for the world-class, multipurpose 60,000-seat sports stadium.
The gargantuan construction, which used 14,000 tonnes of structural steel and 51,000 cubic metres of concrete, opened in January 2018. Located east of the Perth Central Business District on the Burswood Peninsula and boasting views of the picturesque Swan River and Perth city, the stadium hosts a variety of sporting and entertainment events including Australian Football League, International and Big Bash League cricket, soccer, rugby league, rugby union and concerts.
Godfrey Hirst provided thousands of square metres of high quality custom woven and Australian made Designer Jet carpet solutions for function rooms, bars, luxury media spaces, locker rooms, suites, corridor spaces, and back of house media and administration areas.
The design brief sought to reflect the local community’s close connection to the Swan River and coastline; elements of each are presented across carpet and soft furnishings, timber finishes, paint colours and trims. Given the foot traffic that the floors would be exposed to over time, the carpets needed to deliver high performance along with excellent aesthetics. The project required high quality, hardwearing and visually arresting floor coverings to inspire millions of fans at memorable events for years to come.
The stadium showcases a number of striking carpet designs including the main function room floor, which is inspired by the Abrolhos Islands off the west coast of Australia. The Houtman Abrolhos is a chain of 122 islands and associated coral reefs in the Indian Ocean and its brightly coloured organic features have been captured masterfully in the finished woven carpet design.
The public lounge and bar features a daring Godfrey Hirst Designer Jet carpet sharply paired with mint green and white furniture.
The limitless design framework definitely shows in the finished result. Additionally, the GH Commercial team delivered the project within the specified budget. Throughout the continuously evolving design concepts, the team was able to adhere to the budget thanks to Godfrey Hirst’s large range of flooring products, which allowed them to maximise the product specification in high impact areas such as the main function room, locker rooms and lounges, while balancing the outlay with cost-effective, hardwearing carpet tiles in the corridors, and media and administration areas.
GH Commercial’s scope covered:
- Premium corridors and entrances to coaches’ clubs and suites: Designer Jet 250 x 1000mm skinny planks
- Coaches’ clubs and suites: Custom SDN cut & loop broadloom carpet in a chevron design
- Main function room: Custom woven Axminster based on The Houtman Abrolhos
- Media space: Custom Designer Jet 2m wide sheet
- Public lounge and bar area: Custom Designer Jet 2m wide sheet
- Function room: Custom Designer Jet 2m wide sheet
- Pre-function room area: Custom Designer Jet 250 x 1000mm skinny planks
- Chairman’s Club: Premium custom woven Axminster
- Good Wood restaurant: Custom woven Axminster
- Fremantle Dockers Locker Room: Designer Jet Retro carpet tile in custom colour and Designer Jet logo
- West Coast Eagles Locker Room: Custom Designer Jet 500 x 500mm carpet tiles in brand colours
- Offices and back of house spaces: Cosmos 18 - 500 x 500mm carpet tiles
Photography: Evolve Design Studio