Bluescope Steel recently supplied Colorbond steel in Surfmist colour for Fanning’s residence in Buderim on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
The split level four bedroom home has an additional study and has an open plan kitchen/dining/living areas that lead to directly to the North facing outdoor living zones. The double garage is located underneath the main dwelling.
The Building Designer for this home was Trevor Reitsma for Reitsma and Associates, and his brief was to produce a modestly sized, fully functional family home that was sympathetic to the natural contours of the site. The bush setting was to be maximised and the expansive Eastern ocean views and Northern aspects taken advantage of. The clean lined, elegant design complements the location.
This home was winner of 2010 BDAQ Design Award for Best House between 251sqm and 350sqm in the Sunshine Coast Area.
The house was designed to highlight the generous Eastern coastal views amongst the tranquil bush setting while following the contours of the land with minimal excavation, ensuring that the natural surroundings were left largely undisturbed.
Key features of the project include:
- A single plane 7.5˚ pitch skillion roof made from Colorbond steel in the colour Surfmist, neatly ties together the stepped zones of the house
- Lightweight materials were used on the roof and walls to ensure the dwelling doesn’t dominate its surroundings
- The structure of the house proportionally blends in with the lot’s 6.5m rise
- The design layout includes quality cross-flow ventilation via single depth living spaces
- Northern light enters the living areas which are complimented by unrestricted Eastern coastal views
- Resourceful interaction of space and volume is achieved with a sunken living and outdoor area
- The house is anchored internally by a series of timber treads, linking to form a stepped spine from which the various zones flow
- Different floor planes help to define each zone without the use of internal walls to separate social entertaining areas from secluded rooms for personal space
- The Colorbond steel roofing in Surfmist colour compliments the simple and understated design of the home. The durable steel roofing ensures the roof remains water tight given the 24m single span
- The Stramit Half Round 150 Guttering, made from Colorbond steel in the colour Surfmist, aesthetically ties in with the roofing for a clean lined, elegant design