The Bays Precinct is for the public and should not be another Barangaroo
Another Darling Harbour project approved: The Ribbon by Hassell
A 250 metre-stretch of disused rail freight corridor in Sydney’s CBD has been repurposed and reopened as an elevated pedestrian walkway and cycle path.
Part one of Sydney’s ‘The Goods Line’ by Aspect Studios and CHROFI was opened to the public on Sunday 30 August 2015 and now connects the Powerhouse Museum in the north with the Transgrid Headquarters by Bates Smart at Ultimo. It also passes the new Dr Chau Chak Wing building at UTS by Frank Gehry along the way and connects more than 80,000 tertiary students, locals and visitors to the many major attractions of Sydney’s Darling Harbour.
The Goods Line repurposes an 1855-built freight corridor for coal, shale, wheat and timber that was closed in the 1980s. It reopens a key inner-city corridor that has not been walked on for 129 years.
The Goods Line has a number of study pods equipped with power points and Wi-Fi access for tertiary students, as well as an outdoor gym, an amphitheatre for performances, ping-pong tables and turfed surfaces for the greater public.
The Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority (SHFA) has also announced plans to extend the pedestrian walkway in a second phase which would take the total size of the project to approximately 500 metres long.
Photography by McKenna Moroz