St.George Barangaroo by RFA Architects wins 2016 Sustainability Awards - Office and Retail Fitout prize
Shop T2.16, Tower Two, International Towers, 200 Barangaroo Avenue Barangaroo NSW 2000
RFA Architect's St.George Barangaroo was the winner of the Office and Retail prize at the 2016 Sustainability Awards. The expert judges note that the "fitout project sets a new benchmark in the Australian market, driven hard by the holistic approach taken by developers Lendlease in their delivery of Barangaroo", selecting the project from a strong field of five finalists. Scroll to the bottom to see comments from our jury on this project.
St.George Barangaroo branch by RFA Architects is Australia's first 6-Star Green Star (interiors rating) retail project achieving world leadership recognition in executing sustainable initiatives.
The intention of this branch was to build upon the already established St George brand and to create a new branch design concept that was sustainable and offered a better environment for their customers and staff.
Over many years Westpac has developed a strong track record in sustainability. They have a long history of being recognised for their leadership, and in 2014 and 2015 they were assessed as the most sustainable bank globally by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Westpac’s focus has always been on anticipating emerging environmental challenges for their business and customers, and developing practical products and services in response.
RFA’s design demonstrates that it is achievable to minimise the environmental impact whilst creating a dynamic workplace for staff and customers. It is also proof that retail spaces designed with sustainable initiatives in mind, can boost productivity, attract and retain employees and provide a positive brand experience for customers.
Sustainable elements of the project included the use of building materials with a reduced environmental impact over their entire life cycle, reduced internal air pollutants, reduced water and energy consumption via energy efficient lighting selection and programmable controls, and innovative options for community usage of the space.
- Incorporation of sustainable elements
- Minimisation of environmental footprint
- Westpac Group’s 3 core sustainability strategies, embracing societal change, environmental solutions and better financial futures govern how they can have a positive impact on their actions and environmental footprint
- Westpac's focus and vision is to be one of the world's great service companies, helping their customers, communities and people to prosper and grow
- From ensuring consumer customers can save and invest with confidence, to serving the financial needs of multi-national corporate, institutional and government clients, they put their customers at the centre of everything we do
- Over many years Westpac has developed a strong track record in sustainability. They have a long history of being recognised for their leadership and in 2014 and 2015 they were assessed as the most sustainable bank globally by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. They take their sustainability credentials very seriously, and their focus has always been on anticipating emerging environmental challenges for their business and customers, and developing practical products and services in response
- Community and social innovation
ECOLOUR, WATER BASED PAINT
IINTERFACEFLOR, URBAN RETREAT AND RETROFIT, CARPET
FORBO FLOORING MARMOLEUM REAL AND SAFESTEP, LINOLEUM AND VINYL FLOORING PRODUCTS
GECA CERTIFIED LOOSE FURNITURE FOR ALL FURNITURE
USG BORAL, SOUNDSTOP PLASTERBOARD
"This fitout project sets a new benchmark in the Australian market, driven hard by the holistic approach taken by developers Lendlease in their delivery of Barangaroo. It also goes beyond efficiency into lifecycle assessment of products and materials as well as social sustainability and education outcomes. An important part of this project is that the building is offered to charity organisations outside of work hours to benefit the community. It continues Westpac's strong record of sustainable building in Australia."
The award for Office and Retail Fitout was proudly sponsored by Quattro Shading