There is an increasing trend among homeowners to install ceiling fans indoors as well as outdoors.
With alfresco areas being built as a standard feature in new homes and added as part of renovations too, outdoor ceiling fans are increasingly being installed outdoors not only for the gentle breeze but also to keep bugs away.
Most ceiling fans are designed for indoor use and cannot be used in outdoor areas. Even a highly protected and enclosed alfresco area will allow moisture to get into the fan impacting its performance.
Key factors to consider while buying an outdoor ceiling fan:
- Motor needs to be sealed against moisture ingress or water penetration (IP rating)
- Ensure stainless steel or preferably aluminium construction to protect against rust formation, and avoid powder-coated metal
- Blades should be made of weather resistant material, preferably UV resistant plastic blades that are also easier to clean
- Salt spray tested fans ensure durability especially when in proximity to the ocean
Prestige Fans offers a range of Hunter outdoor fans with various options in IP rating, material, colour and size.
Hunter Cabo Frio IP23 rated ceiling fans (for covered outdoor areas)
Featuring a rust-proof aluminium construction with stainless steel hardware, Cabo Frio is suitable for both indoor as well as alfresco areas. The unique UV resistant ABS plastic all weather blades provide maximum air movement.
The 132cm Cabo Frio is available in 3 colour options:
Hunter Maribel and Outdoor Elements II IP44 rated outdoor ceiling fans
- Antique Pewter model with 3 Antique Black Plastic blades
- New Bronze model with 3 Coffee Beech Plastic blades
- White model with 3 White Plastic blades
The Hunter Maribel and Outdoor Elements II outdoor ceiling fans are true wet listed fans featuring a rust-proof aluminium housing with stainless steel screws, and reversible blades made from UV resistant ABS all weather plastic.
The 132cm Maribel is available in 2 colour options:
The 137cm Outdoor Elements II is available in 2 colour options:
- White model with 5 reversible White Plain/ White Timber Look Plastic blades
- New Bronze model with 5 reversible Walnut Plain/ Walnut Timber Look Plastic blades
Key features of Hunter Cabo Frio, Maribel and Outdoor Elements II outdoor ceiling fans:
- Raw Aluminium with 5 reversible Natural Wicker/ Palm Frond Plastic blades
- New Bronze model with 5 reversible Dark Antique Wicker/ Palm Frond Plastic blades
- IP rated and salt spray tested to withstand tough tropical winds, rain and sea spray
- Hunter’s high output motor for superior performance
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Hunter’s unique wobble-free canopy features a unique tri-lobe ball joint to dissipate wobble
- Two mounting options: Standard on a flat roof, or on raked ceilings up to 34 degrees
- Optional IP rated Hunter outdoor light kit available for Maribel and Outdoor Elements
- Fitted with a summer/winter switch for energy efficiency
- Saves up to 47% on summer air conditioning costs and up to 20% on heating costs in winter mode by recirculating hot air trapped in the ceiling
Hunter ceiling fans are available from Prestige Fans