Several Dulux paints and protective coatings were specified for the new Victoria Police headquarters in Melbourne to meet both sustainability objectives and practical considerations.
Located on Spencer Street in the Melbourne CBD, the $650 million Victoria Police Centre was developed by Cbus Property in 2015 as a purpose-built 39-storey tower designed by Woods Bagot to achieve government-mandated sustainability ratings while providing appropriate levels of security for a police headquarters.
Featuring clever landscaping, urban design interventions, built form initiatives and invisible technologies, the building provides Victoria Police with a secure facility that integrates with the streetscape. The interiors, also designed by Woods Bagot, created a distinctive office solution to meet Victoria Police’s needs now and into the future.
Specific project requirements included 65,000 square metres of net lettable area, a fully integrated base building and fit-out to PCA A-grade standard, 600 car parking spaces, a helipad, integration with the adjacent City West Police Complex through multiple physical connections, bicycle parking, gymnasium and an internal town hub/food court.
As a high-profile, critically important building, it was essential that the products specified offered low-maintenance, long-lasting performance.
Exterior weather protection
External steel elements needed high-performance protection from the elements, ranging from extreme temperatures and humidity to wind, rain, hail and sunshine.
Environmental sustainability ratings
The development was designed to meet the following sustainability ratings in accordance with government policy: 5-star Green Star rating; 5-star NABERS Energy rating (for base building); and 5-star NABERS Water rating.
Therefore, it was necessary to specify and use Dulux products created with sustainability in mind.
With more than 5,000 staff working from the building, surfaces are constantly subject to heavy foot traffic. Protective coatings specified for high-traffic surfaces in these areas must support continuous cleaning and provide outstanding durability.
It was important that the building was protected by coatings that were easy to clean. Dulux products support graffiti removal with appropriate chemical cleaners, including single pack, 2 pack coatings and powder coating solutions.
Easy sample ordering
Since physical samples could be ordered, the project specifiers were able to view textures, colours and finishes onsite prior to application, assisting with decision-making.
Environmental and sustainability-conscious construction
Sustainability-focused products were specified to allow the building to achieve the demanding sustainability ratings.
Superior exterior protection
External steel and other substrates were protected from the elements with durable and aesthetically pleasing coatings.
Durability for high-traffic areas
Given that the building would be subject to immense foot traffic each day, especially in the common areas, it was vital that the walls were able to withstand knocks, scrapes and scuffs. Dulux Wash & Wear was used to provide long-lasting, washable surfaces.
- New plasterboard: Dulux Professional Enviro2 interior low sheen
- New plasterboard priming: Dulux Professional Enviro2 Interior Acrylic Sealer Undercoat
- New plasterboard: Dulux Professional Enviro2 Interior Tintable Ceiling Flat
- New timber: Dulux Aquanamel Semi-gloss; Dulux Professional Total Prep
Dulux Protective Coatings
- New mild steel (commercial, interior): App Surfaceshield HD Clear
- Primer: Dulux Protective Coatings Duration P23 Two Pack Primer
- New mild steel (commercial, interior): Dulux Protective Coatings Duration T74 Two Pack Polyurethane
- Flooring: Nitofloor FC150
Dulux Powder Coatings
- C3 corrosivity zone/ new aluminium – interior and exterior: Dulux Powder Coatings Fluroset
- C1-c5 corrosivity zone/ sheet and extruded on new aluminium – interior and exterior: Dulux Powder Coatings Duratec
- New aluminium perforated stair balustrade – interior: Dulux Powder Coatings Electro; Louvres – Sheet and Extruded on new aluminium; Dulux Powder Coatings Duralloy FG
- New mild steel – steelwork and doors: Dulux Powder Coatings E-Prime; Dulux Powder Coatings Fluroset; Dulux Powder Coatings Durraloy
Photography by Brooke Powell