As a member of the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) and the US Green Building Council (USGBC), ASP Access Floors’ Environmental Policy outlines how the company endeavours to use recycled materials, reduce its carbon footprint and optimise its supply chain.
The implementation of the policy will ensure ASP considers sustainability in all relevant decision making; reduces their greenhouse gas emissions; and produces less waste and increases recycling.
The aim of this policy is to incorporate ecologically sustainable development principles in every facet of design, manufacturing and installation with the introduction of the following five key objectives:
- Indoor Environment Quality
- Waste Management
- Recycled Content
- Life Cycle Analysis
- Environmental Product Declaration
Areas of Focus
The results from the LCA and the sensitivity analysis show potential improvements to reduce the overall environmental impacts of ASP’s access floor systems. Areas of focus include:
- The use of certified 100% hydroelectricity at the steel manufacturing plant
- Increasing the percentage of recycled cement in the cementitious core mix
- Finding more environmental alternatives to the panel core
- Reducing the weight of the whole system to minimise both production and distribution environmental impacts
- The monitoring of freight services to ensure shipping methods with the best available technology and least environmental impact are used
- Optimising distribution routes to eliminate unnecessary transport
- Substituting truck freight with rail freight where practical
Beyond the scope of the study, ASP Access Floors is looking to set up a product stewardship programme to recover and recycle access floor componentry at end of life.
Environmental Product Declaration
ASP Access Floors is the first access floor company in the Southern Hemisphere to have obtained an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD).
An Environmental Product Declaration is a verified document that reports environmental data of products based on life cycle assessment (LCA) and other relevant information and in accordance with the international standard ISO 14025 (Type III Environmental Declarations).
- ASP Access Floors operates under the guidelines of an Environmental Management System (EMS), compliant with international standard ISO 14001
- ASP Access Floors’ environmental product declaration (EPD) is certified in accordance with ISO 14025 and EN 15804
- ASP Access Floors’ products comply with Australian Standard AS4154 along with international standards CISCA, EN 12825, PSA MOB and DIN.