Understanding the environmental impact of commercial office buildings, particularly when built from scratch, Quintessential Equity embarked on the revitalisation of 2–6 Bowes Street, Phillip, to significantly reduce its carbon footprint and waste, and achieve a target 5-Star NABERS Energy rating.
Measures such as bicycle parking, energy-efficient plant and equipment, building insulation and occupancy sensors were paired with a sleek, modern design.
Further enhancements as a result now ensure building occupants can make use of the nearby public transport systems and are also encouraged to walk and cycle to work with the new modern bathroom and other end-of-trip facilities, all contributing to further emissions reductions for the building.
Contractor Energy Action developed a computer simulation model of the building fabric, complete with its operational performance. This was used to ensure the service upgrade was best suited to both the day-to-day temperatures and the extremes of Canberra’s climatic conditions, as well as accounting for building orientation and solar loads.
- Reduction of embodied carbon by utilising existing materials and structures
- An Australian-made, world’s best practice, high-efficiency cooling system
- Achieving best practice thermal comfort levels in Canberra’s cold winters, with a cascading set of high-efficiency condensing boilers for building heating
- Implementation of a new, open protocol Building Management System (BMS), with ongoing monitoring, tuning and energy management
- Deployment of daylight-sensitive lighting controls
- Installation of LED lighting in common spaces, including motion sensing emergency fire stair lighting
- Optional end-of-trip facilities for occupants walking and cycling to work, incorporating water-saving low-flow shower heads, basins and low flush toilets
- Commissioning, tuning and independent verification of development and provision of training and Builders User Guide
- Material selections consistent with Green Star MAT credits
- Low VOC paints and adhesives
- Low-flow sanitary fittings with high WELS ratings
- Responsible disposal of builders waste and redundant
- Chillers – PowerPax Turbocore Magnetic Bearing Centrifugal Chillers
- Baxi Condensing Boilers
- Tridium Niagara AX open protocol building management system
- EnLighten Chamaeleon emergency lighting
- High Efficiency LEDs
- Microwave motion sensor triggers a gradual transition between full and standby light output