fjmtinteriors has created a new Head Office for Built Sydney within the adaptive reuse development SubStation No.164.
A heritage warehouse and electrical substation are seamlessly integrated through modern insertions and interconnecting stairs, providing multiple view lines and circulation paths that provide a modern, sustainable and healthy workplace.
Originally two adjacent heritage buildings, the Shelley Warehouse and Electrical Substation No.164, were integrated by way of penetrations through their adjoining walls. As the Substation and Warehouse levels have differing heights, a series of stairs were used to unify the floors. Above, a new curvilinear glass tower is supported by a core and columns that penetrate through the heritage structure.
fjmt Interiors worked together with Built to determine which floors of the new development would best suit their business needs and heritage Levels two to four were selected to create the 2410 square metre mix of client-facing and open plan work space.
The two existing buildings are Heritage Listed along with the fit out targeting a 6 Star Green Star Interiors and WELL Platinum Rating. The combination of all three of these governing bodies and rating systems added an extra level of complexity and challenges to the project that were incorporated from the onset.
The design centres around respecting the heritage and celebrating the new, while incorporating an industrial aesthetic befitting a construction company. The introduction of biophilic elements and materiality for occupant comfort and well-coordinated technology inclusions compose the future-forward workplace.
The project green ratings/standards that were met (or exceeded):
- 6 Star Green Star Interiors v1.2 rating (Certification Pending)
- WELL fit out – WELL Platinum rating v2 pilot (Q2 2019) and WELL Health-Safety rating (Q2 2021)
- 3rd Party Certification for Majority of New Furniture and Finishes to comply with Green Star and WELL targets.
- All specified paint, adhesives, and coatings were either No VOC or complied with "Ultra" Low VOC targets.
- High indoor air quality with a 100% fresh air ventilation system and ensuring over 95% of the finishes, flooring, adhesives and sealants are low toxicity, low VOC products.
- Targeting a 5 Star NABERS Energy with 5 Star NABERS Energy Commitment Agreement.
- 5 Star Green Star Design Rating awarded during construction, which the project is now seeking to exceed this with a 6 Star Green Star As-Built rating.
- Water savings: Compliance with NABERS Water Base Build - 5 Star Equivalency (No formal rating)
- Energy Savings: Compliance with NABERS Energy Fitout - 5 Star Equivalency (No formal rating)
- Adaptive reuse of the existing heritage buildings and structural rationalisation led to a 24% reduction in embodied carbon.
- Energy-efficient design means greenhouse gas emissions are reduced by 23% in operation.
- 99% of construction waste was diverted from landfills.
- Built's Site based health and wellbeing strategies on this project were recognised with an Innovation point from the Green Building Council.