Borgelt & Craig Architects received the Single Dwelling (Alterations & Additions) Category prize at the 2015 Sustainability Awards.
Their Rant Home Studio project was chosen by the expert judges from a field of eight finalists and a record number of entries. Scroll to the bottom to see jury comments on this ground breaking project.
This home studio is honed for efficiency and sustainability. It is the culmination of a quest for liveability, durability, affordability and efficiency for a couple whose strong ethics and sustainability philosophy in business carries through to their home life.
As Rant sustainable clothing range became more successful, this husband and wife business couple made the conscious decision to reduce their carbon footprint further, by fine-tuning their existing house as a home-studio rather than leasing or buying a larger business space.
By investing in upgrading the house, they have cut their travel expense and time, and reuse space more resourcefully. There are further cost saving benefits through shared resources, with the roof collection of rainwater and solar power for both business and home use. The new flexible layout gives them relaxed, stylish and efficient spaces for promotional photo shoots, business meetings, high functioning work, or dinner with friends and family.
- Solar is PV panels 5kW with SMA inverter, from Brisbane local, Master Craft Roofing.
- Hot water continuous flow gas, -from Rinnai Infinity Enviro.
- External bifold Louvre shutters -by Brisbane local, Shutterflex.
- Sliding stacking windows - by Brisbane local, Architectural Windows and Doors
- Jalousie external louvres with Pilkington Solar E glass - by Safetyline jalousie
- Natural Furniture Polish (lavender & Rose oils & beeswax) -Australian Natures Gifts
- Low VOC water based Timber Floor finish-Intergrain Enviropro ENDURE
- Low VOC wall & Ceiling paint "Resene Earthsense & ClinicalCote" (Environmental Choice approved), -from RESENE
- Recycled Timber beams and posts (FSC certified) / wire brushed- by Brisbane local, The Red Shed, Darra
- Salvaged hardwood floor joists from demolition of Kelvin Grove army barracks (salvaged by architect; cabinet maker used for kitchen/dining bench)
- Plantation timbers/Ply joinery and panels - local Brisbane company, Sharp Plywood
- Water-saving dishwasher (recycled) -from Bosch
- Water saving washing machine (W3933) -from Miele
- Energy efficient heat pump dryer (EcoComfort T8627) /. -from Miele
- Water Tanks - standard coarse water filter external / fine HiFlow filter internal
- Energy saving LED lights throughout
“What fun this house is! Clearly the owners are happy to integrate home and work, and the passion with which they do that shows in the way the building adapts to its different daily functions. Its low-energy climatic design, clever use of multifunction space and “human feel” make it a very endearing building.
“The designer’s use of recycled beams and posts from the local area, and the salvaged floor joists for the kitchen bench are fantastic initiatives.
“It is an amazing result on such an astoundingly low budget.”
The award for Single Dwelling (Alterations & Additions) was proudly sponsored by Gyprock