By responding to the environmental imperative to creatively re-use old buildings Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Primary School by BVN is a model and leader in pedagogical design.
The traditional classroom spaces have been replaced with light filled spaces that enable students to readily access diverse learning settings.
Natural ventilation and daylight were massively increased by demolishing the ground floor brick wall and replacing it with airtight high performance timber framed double glazing with large openings to the external timber deck. It is performing at the highest level where heaters were barely turned on in its first winter.
Challenges faced throughout the project included the existing structure which had no insulation or suitable existing envelope.
Environmentally friendly materials for floors, ceilings and the façade were implemented.
- Reusing a concrete building, rather than demolishing and sending materials to landfill
- Maximising daylight penetration reducing the need for artificial lighting
- Increasing natural ventilation by replacing walls with operable windows and doors, and electrically operated highlight windows
- Reducing heating and air-conditioning equipment size requirement by using air-tight double glazing
- Use of environmentally friendly materials for floors, ceilings and facade (timber)
RAICO TIMBER/ALUMINIUM FACADE SYSTEM
HAHN DOUBLE GLAZED OPERABLE LOUVRE SYSTEMS
DOORS & WINDOWS
DOEPFNER TIMBER/ALUMINIUM BIFOLD DOORS AND AUTOMATED HIGHLIGHT WINDOWS
TIMBER FACADE, DECKING, FLOORING, SLIDING PANELS AND DOOR FRAMES
LOCAL BLACKBUTT, VICTORIAN ASH FSC CERTIFIED TIMBER
ECOCORE BIRCH PLYWOOD
CEILING WALL PANELLING
LOCAL BLACKBUTT HARDWOOD PLYWOOD