The highly innovative new built environment for Northern Beaches Christian School signals the 'school of the future'.
Beneath a spectacular intelligent roof canopy, indoor/outdoor spaces and multi-level pavilions accommodate interactive learning environments, performance areas, support facilities, reception, administration, and a cafeteria.
Combined with wireless connectivity, the learning spaces allow endless flexibility and multiple configurations for learning, studying, performing, and socialising.
The soaring canopy is an intelligent 'living' structure which generates energy, collects rainwater, and cools the spaces below.
- Intelligent living canopy - the spectacular 11 metre high, 3000 square metre canopy generates energy, harvests rainwater, and cools the spaces below
- Water sensitive urban design - the canopy's columns collect rainwater which is stored in underground collection tanks and then used to flush toilets, irrigation, and for the misting system
- Energy generation - the development generates energy via photovoltaic cells on the canopy roof, with associated cabling infrastructure sized with future capacity to increase the PV array in the future
- Passive solar design - through orientation to capture the winter sun and cooling summer breezes, sun shading, and insulation
- Lighting - energy efficient fluorescent and LED lighting throughout
- Window design - intended to maximise daylight ingress and air flow for both inhabitant comfort and air quality
- Natural light - maximising daylight with orientation, roof lights, large windows, and narrow floor plates
- Misting system - collected rainwater is fed up to a canopy misting system that is responsive to the environment; the system is triggered by high temperatures and cools the space below, reducing the school's reliance on air conditioning
- Mixed-mode ventilation - throughout all teaching and office spaces with manually operable louvres provided throughout to promote natural ventilation rather than air conditioning when external conditions are acceptable
- Glazing, shading, and insulation - to reduce the school's need for air conditioning
AUTOMATED WINDOW LOUVRE SYSTEM
RECYCLED SPOTTED GUM
AUSTRALIAN ARCHITECTURAL HARDWOODS
INSULATED ROOF PANELS