Waterco recently unveiled its most energy efficient swimming pool pump to date, the 6.5 star energy-rated Hydrostorm Eco.
Unlike conventional swimming pool pumps that are limited to one set high flow rate speed, the Hydrostorm Eco is equipped with a three speed motor to allow pool owners to set the pump at a low, energy saving flow rate for every day filtration.
Hydrostorm Eco pool pumps are also exceptionally quiet, running at 60 decibels, which makes them suitable for operating at night during the off peak electricity tariff periods without causing disruption to neighbours.
Hydrostorm Eco swimming pool pumps can also help to save money on annual electricity bills. When set to a low flow rate, the pump uses almost 70% less energy than when operating at a standard high flow rate speed.
Conventional fixed-speed pumps are set and sized to cater for a pool’s maximum water flow requirements, which may either be the sand filter’s backwash water flow or to provide adequate water flow to operate suction cleaners. However, effective pool filtration does not necessarily need to be set at a pump’s maximum water flow rate.
In fact, a pool’s filtration efficiency improves at lower flow rates. As a pool’s filtration cycle occupies 99% of the run time of a pool pump, users can operate the Hydrostorm Eco on its low speed setting for most of its running time, leading to considerable energy savings.
Additionally, running a pump at a low flow rate will also help to reduce water flow resistance in pool equipment and plumbing, and may even enhance the clarity of the swimming pool water.
Hydrostorm Eco swimming pool pumps provide three speed options to cater for all pool needs:
- High speed – For vacuuming and backwashing – Used for approximately 1% of the time
- Medium speed – For running automatic pool cleaners – Used as and when required
- Low speed – For filtration – Used for approximately 99% of the time
Key features of the Hydrostorm Eco swimming pool pump include:
- 3 speed control panel, IP55 rating
- Permanent magnet brushless three speed DC motor
- UV stabilised and corrosion resistant
- 50mm quick connect barrel unions for UPVC pipe
- Clear basket lid and large 2.1lt strainer basket
- High grade carbon/ graphite mechanical seal with 316 stainless steel spring assembly
- Strong single piece glass filled thermoplastic pump body
- Drain plugs
- Stable support base
- Hydraulically efficient impeller and diffuser design
- Fan cooled Thermal overload protection
- Motor protection bracket protects the motor from a leaking mechanical seal. The bracket adds a 60.5mm separation between the pump wet end and motor. It also has larger drain holes for improved draining of any water leaks due to long term usage wear of the main mechanical seal.