Sikafloor from Sika Australia
was specified for installation in 30 Coles supermarkets across the country, with additional stores to be refurbished in the coming months.
Sikafloor is a high quality polyurethane flooring solution from Sika designed for the food industry for use in the food preparation areas as a more durable alternative to vinyl and epoxy finishes. The existing epoxy floor finishes in the deli, bakery and chicken preparation areas required frequent repairs and maintenance, according to the standards management team, which oversees the Coles store construction and specification function nationally.
The project manager at Sika Australia, Anthony Lewis explained that surfaces within all food related businesses from manufacturing to service must be durable to withstand the constant demands placed on them. Breakdown of floors due to food acid attack results in constant and costly repair and resurfacing works to fix damaged floors.
Coles commissioned a rigorous examination of all flooring systems, with polyurethane concrete based resin solutions trialled for a six-month period, during which floors were exposed to a searching examination of quality, durability, wear and overall safety.
Sikafloor-22N PurCem was selected based on its suitability for food preparation areas, including slip resistance, heat resistance and resistance to food acids and fats. According to Lewis, the Sikafloor system is a solution to long term floor maintenance, while also upholding hygiene, health and safety standards. The flooring system is ideal for bakeries, meat and dairy preparation areas, commercial kitchens and catering facilities.
Key features of the Sikafloor flooring system:
- Flexible, quick-drying and easy to maintain and clean
- Water-based polyurethane screed with a 4-9mm thickness suitable for wet or dry processing environments
- Fast curing product can be applied to green concrete
- Offers resistance to high wear and thermal shock
- Certified for usage in the food industry
- Single step application enables completion within tight timeframes and even in live trading situations
- Installed with integrated coving for a seamless finish
- Can withstand constant traffic, impact from utensils, hot water washdowns, cleaning chemicals and food acids
- Neutral odour with low VOC emissions