Fall arrest systems such as safety harnesses are designed to prevent injury caused by falls from height. However, there are important factors you will need to consider before selecting one for your operation.
- What is the length of the lanyard?
- Where have you located the anchor point?
- What is the length of the user’s legs and body in the fall distance?
- Does the lanyard incorporate a section that lengthens when it is deployed and if so, what is this measurement?
- Have the anchor points in the system been recently tested and certified to be able to handle the load associated with a fall?
According to the hierarchy of control, guardrails, walkways and static lines are the more preferred option when working at height. But they may not always be practical or possible in a particular situation or application.
Watch this video from Sayfa Group for important information on what you must consider when selecting, installing and using fall arrest equipment.