Capstan winches from Kennards Lift & Shift are playing a significant role in the roll-out of the National Broadband Network (NBN) in Australia.
Kennards Lift & Shift has recently added a fleet of trailer mounted capstan winches to its extensive range of cable pulling equipment available for hire.
The custom designed units are available in 5kN and 10kN as well as Optic Fibre 2kN, which has been built to Telstra specified certification for laying optic fibre cabling for the National Broadband Network.
The NBN is the Federal Government’s largest ever infrastructure project, which aims to provide high-speed internet connection via optic fibre, fixed wireless and next-generation satellite to 93% of Australian homes, schools and businesses.
Andre Lambert, General Manager of Kennards Lift & Shift explains that the Optic Fibre 2kN units are equipped with an inline restrictor lock function to prevent the optic fibre cabling from being pulled at a force greater than 200kg.
The trailer mounted custom design is made by Cable Winches Australia with input from Kennards Lift & Shift, with the winches specifically designed to align with OH&S issues. All these safety features put together make the capstan winch ideal for the mining industry.
Key features of the custom optic fibre capstan winches:
- Fitted with safety cages, magnetised plates for the addition of flashing lights and insulation material around exhausts
- Platform placed over trailer’s A-frame drawbar allows front entry to the winch control panel, which is also surrounded by a 900mm guardrail
- Rear foot mounts ensure stability on uneven ground
- Skid mounted units can be forked off the trailers and on to trucks and utility vehicles
- Fitted with a hydraulically adjustable ram enabling vertical (90 degree) hauling through to 45 degree reverse angle to allow for aerial hauling
- Powered by a 13 HP Honda petrol engine with integral 2:1 reduction gearbox
- Operator controlled capstan speed from 0 – 60 metres per minute and 0 – 30 metres per minute when using the 600mm capstan to 10kN
- Operator controlled capstan has forward/reverse rotation, controlled via the dash mounted joystick or remote control foot treadle
- Can be operated by one person, minimising labour costs and adding to efficiency
Kennards Lift & Shift offers an extensive range of cable winches, hauling jacks and accessories at their hire centres in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne (two outlets), Sydney, Brisbane and Townsville.