The Forest Stewardship Council
(FSC) is an international, membership based, non-profit organisation founded in 1993 by environmentalists, social interest groups, indigenous peoples’ organisations, responsible retailers and leading forest management companies.
FSC is an international network to promote responsible management of the world’s forests, brings people together to find solutions to the problems created by bad forestry practices and to reward good forest management.
In a recent case study
published by the FSC, it has been suggested that many large organisations are 'weeding out' suppliers with little or no commitment to certification.
There are currently three types of FSC labels:
Many timber product suppliers are sourcing FSC certified timber materials to show that they are:
- FSC 100%: Products manufactured with 100% FSC-certified virgin fibre from FSC-certified forests
- FSC MIX: Products manufactured with a combination of FSC-certified virgin fibre (from FSC-certified forests), controlled sources and/or recycled wood or fibre
- FSC Recycled: Products manufactured with 100% recycled fibre of which at least 85% is post-consumer (PCW) cycled material.
- committed to the environment
- committed to procuring timbers of responsibly managed forests
- conserving the natural environment and protecting Australia's flora and fauna
- practising responsible forestry and use of forest resources
- minimising environmental impact
- managing its operations in an environmentally responsible manner
What's more, using FSC certified products will contribute to Green Star ratings/points when used in housing and commercial buildings.
highlights some of Australia's leading suppliers of FSC certified timber products who are committed to supplying the design and building industry with eco-friendly products.
Australian Recycled Timber
believe FSC certification to be the strongest environmental accreditation in the world, as endorsed by NGOs such as Greenpeace and the World Wildlife Fund. The range of FSC certified products in stock include Pacific Jarrah, Tonka and Plus certified recycled timbers.
's 'FSCPly' plywood is the most environmentally friendly option in its range. It meets the highest environmental standards and are FSC certified, making it suitable for building, construction, cabinet making, caravan manufacturing, decorative and marine applications.
's 'EPly' environmental range of Poplar Plywood offers excellent surface uniformity, homogeneity, light weight and light colour and is FSC® certified, with E1 or E0 emission certification.
Recently taking fourth place on Infolink's inaugural Top Trusted Brands 2012
survey, Laminex Group
provide FSC certified timber veneers panels that offer a sophisticated alternative to natural solid wood.
Plywood products from Carter Holt Harvey
are available in FSC chain of custody (CoC) certified types. These timber materials are easy to work with and available in an extensive sheet size range for optimal design.
The Venture Plank hardwood board from Havwoods
features a 6mm wear layer of European oak cold press glued to a multi-layered WBP birch ply backing. This product can be used anywhere from a residential environment to heavy duty applications such as busy restaurants or for use over underfloor heating. Venture Plank timber comes from renewable sources and is manufactured by an FSC certified company.
Customers, suppliers and designers who are environmentally and socially concerned should consider organisations that have FSC certification.