The GWA Group supplied a full schedule of bathroom fittings for the 1 Bligh project, a ground-breaking sustainable development in Sydney’s CBD.
The award-winning 27-level tower development, 1 Bligh combines cutting-edge, sustainable design with the latest in efficient technology and state-of-the-art water saving fixtures and fittings supplied by GWA Bathrooms & Kitchens. Every aspect of the tower from the full height glass atrium to the energy efficient double-skin façade has been designed to enhance sustainability performance.
Co-owned by DEXUS Property Group, DEXUS Wholesale Property Fund and Cbus Property, 1 Bligh is located on one of the county’s most prominent sites near Sydney’s Circular Quay and reflects the latest concepts in workplace design and facilities, setting a benchmark for commercial developments worldwide in sustainability.
Designed by Architectus of Australia in conjunction with Ingenhoven of Germany and constructed by Grocon, 1 Bligh achieves a 5 star NABERS Energy rating and a 6 star Green Star rating.
An innovative tri-generation system, which combines gas and rooftop solar thermal collectors to generate cooling, heating and electricity, helps reduce the building’s environmental footprint.
A major black water recycling system reduces water consumption throughout the building by providing clean, recycled water for the bathroom flushing systems. Recycled water is also used to irrigate 1 Bligh’s feature 10-metre high green wall and plants throughout the development.
With a view to maximising water conservation through the installation of the latest in bathroom and kitchen fittings, Australia’s leading supplier of kitchen and bathroomware, GWA Bathrooms & Kitchens worked collaboratively with Architectus and Grocon to supply a full schedule of fittings including reduced flow tapware and water saving toilet suites. The installation of these fixtures and fittings, in addition to the building’s innovative recycling technology saves approximately 100,000 litres of water per day and helped 1 Bligh meet its 6 Green Star rating.
Mr Geoff Briggs, Services Manager at Grocon explains that choosing highly efficient fixtures and fittings to minimise water consumption was critical, given the environmental sensitivity at the core of the development. However, Ingenhoven had, as a German company selected European bathroomware in the original design.
In order to minimise potential costs and ensure swift delivery of the specified product, Grocon found fixtures and fittings from GWA to be the perfect alternative, matching the European products in both style and functionality, whilst at the same time achieving key practical and environmental sustainability requirements.
Highlights of bathroom fixtures from GWA at 1 Bligh:
- Fowler Newport Invisi Series II wall faced toilet suites featuring European inspired detailing boast a 4.5L full flush to achieve a 4 star WELS rating for water efficiency
- Caroma Care 800 Invisi Series II toilet suite has been utilised in 1 Bligh’s accessible bathrooms for its award-winning Caroma Smartflush technology, which gives it a WELS 4 star rating
- Caroma Integra wall basin combines a visually striking appearance with practical functionality
- Caroma Cube 0.8 Litre Electronic Smartflush urinal suite in male bathrooms boast a WELS 6 star rating, achieved through the integration of Caroma’s Smart Demand Technology, which detects the user and determines the flush mode accordingly
- Caroma Liano basin mixer features a square inspired outlet and platemount design plus a WELS 5 star rating
- Irwell Pin extended care lever basin mixer with a 5 star WELS rating, specifically chosen for its stylish chrome finish, sleek lever design and perfectly engineered flow technology