Did you know that out of all the water in the world, only 3 percent is fresh?
According to savewater® Alliance
, only 1 percent of this fresh water is available for human use. The non-profit organisation has been lobbying for better water conservation
and water management
efforts across Australia.
The aim of the Alliance is to to accelerate water conservation behaviour change and water saving product purchasing in line with government and water industry needs.
Excessive water consumption can have an impact on the environment, not to mention everyone's hip pocket.
Let's look at it more closely.
- building more dams can severely impact the environment such as the destruction of wilderness, increase in greenhouse gases, altered streamflows and degraded ecological health
- costly upgrades and maintenance of infrastructure for water supply and use
- erosion, salinity and desertification of the natural water cycle
- degradation of rivers, wetlands and bays
The NSW Department of Primary Industries (Office of Water)
has echoed these concerns and has called on the implementation of a cost effective water conservation and water management plan that will deliver significant environmental and social benefits and will assist in providing a sustainable water supply. Although the Government was specifically referring to water and drought management in country towns and regional areas, there's no reason why these should not be implemented everywhere else.
Useful installation tips
According to the savewater® Alliance, there are a number of factors to keep in mind when installing you rainwater and stormwater tank:
- fit your tank at the beginning of the wet season
- keep you gutters free of debris by cleaning them out regularly
- regularly inspect your tanks for leaks and sludge
- consult a professional plumber to check that installation fully complies with local and national legislation
Now, it's your turn to make a difference.
provides an economical solution to stormwater and rainwater management. The VersiTank underground stormwater tanks
and drainage sheets allow for management of rainwater from roofs and other impermeable surface.
VersiTank is a high strength, modular stormwater infiltration and storage tank that provide an efficient at-source management system for rainwater from roofs and other impermeable surfaces such as parking areas, driveways, playgrounds and sports fields.
Other key benefits include:
- on-site retention or detention of stormwater
- mitigation of downstream flooding
- choose from various sizes to cater for all volume requirements
- resistance to biological attack and to a wide range of soil-borne chemicals
- sub-surface installation that maximises site utilisation
- allows stormwater to be filtered before infiltrating water tables or storm drains
- more economic systems than bio-swales, retention ponds and concrete tanks
For specific installation details for the VersiTank, contact Elmich Australia using the online enquiry form