COLORBOND steel and ZINCALUME steel from BlueScope Steel were used to build a series of large training workshops at the Curtin Vocational Training & Education Centre.
The metal fabrication training facility at the centre located in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia is a collection of large training workshops and rooms with associated ancillary support spaces including a staff office.
Designed by Armstrong Parkin Architects and built by Cooper & Oxley Builders Pty Ltd, the new training workshops were being built to replace existing workshops used for delivering the training courses.
The design brief also required the provision of associated outdoor areas to connect the new facility to existing vehicular and pedestrian pathways.
COLORBOND steel was used for the reverse sprung walling and cantilevered awning extension while ZINCALUME steel was used for the roofing.
Highlights of the project:
Use of steel and colours:
- U shape form and muted coloured palette of the new facilities successfully complement the existing buildings and streetscape
- Coloured palette and vertical design of the main facade, made from COLORBOND steel are inspired by the varied use of corrugated profile steel in Kalgoorlie
- Large, passive veranda recreation space complements the streetscape
- Building is located in close proximity to a residential area and adheres to stringent regulations for noise abatement
- Concave sprung cladding made from COLORBOND steel used to create specially designed natural ventilation system with low level openings
- Training spaces organised in a U shape form provide good connectivity for the workflow requirements of steel fabrication
- Innovative design maximises natural ventilation and lighting whilst also controlling noise outbreak for adjacent residences
- Rolled awning extension connects the big veranda
- Curvature of the walling, made from COLORBOND steel creates interest from the streetscape
- Reverse sprung walling made from COLORBOND steel in the profile LYSAGHT SPANDEK and colours Paperbark, Surfmist, Pale Eucalypt, Jasper and COLORBOND Metallic steel in the colour Cortex
- Cantilevered awning extension made from COLORBOND steel in the profile LYSAGHT CUSTOM BLUE ORB in the colours Paperbark, Surfmist and Pale Eucalypt
- Roofing made from ZINCALUME steel in the profile LYSAGHT SPANDEK