The Australian International Design Awards presented by Good Design Australia in Melbourne recently, gave out 47 Design Awards to diverse projects ranging from an interactive children's playground to a finless surfboard.
A major design endorsement scheme in Australia, the Australian International Design Awards rewards companies that differentiate their products and services through design.
Awards were given out in diverse categories including Architectural and Interior Products, Automotive and Transport, Business and Technology, Consumer, Heavy Machinery, Housing and Building, Medical and Scientific, and Sport + Leisure.
Of the 232 Australian and internationally-designed products that were physically assessed by a panel of international design experts, 127 made the Finals with 47 products awarded a Design Award in recognition of design and innovation excellence. The remaining 80 Finalists were recognised as Good Design.
A product or service must exceed the five criteria for good design to qualify for the Design Award trademark and additionally, meet the criterion for design excellence and innovation in the expert opinion of the Design Awards judges.
Brandon Gien, Managing Director of Good Design Australia said all entries underwent a thorough physical inspection assessing form, function, quality, safety, sustainability, innovation and best in class design.
Gien explained that the one product to stand out above all others in the eyes of the judges was awarded the top prize of Design Award of the Year. This year, the top prize went to ICON, a Danish-designed interactive playground that combined the appeal of computing with climbing and play equipment.
For the first time at this year’s event, the highest scoring product in each of the program's eight categories was awarded a Design Award | Best in Category in recognition of best in class.
Best in Category Design Award winners:
- Best in Category | Architectural and Interior Products: Sayl by Fuseproject
- Best in Category | Automotive and Transport: Audi A7 Sportback by Audi
- Best in Category | Business and Technology: DaVinci Resolve hardware control surface by Blackmagic Industrial Design Team
- Best in Category | Consumer (Joint): Nespresso Pixie by Les Ateliers du Nord and STIHL Australia Cordless range by STIHL
- Best in Category | Heavy Machinery: WorkArea Monitor (WAM) by GroundProbe
- Best in Category | Housing and Building: Caroma Flow by GWA Bathrooms & Kitchens
- Best in Category | Medical and Scientific: ResMed S9 Series with Automatic Climate Control by ResMed
- Best in Category | Sport + Leisure (Design Award of the Year): ICON playground by Kompan
The Design Award | Sustainability was received by Electrolux UltraSilencer Green vacuum cleaner by Electrolux in recognition of excellence in Design for Sustainability (D4S).