Australian Disabled Access Consultants has successfully negotiated the design solution of disabled access ramps that will be implemented at a residential apartment complex in Kirribilli.
These wheelchair ramps will replace the existing steps and pathway that join the street boundary and the building’s main entry doorway so as to satisfy the principles of section 23(1) of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA), the Disability Access to Premises Standards 2010 and AS1428.1-2009 guidelines.
Australian Disabled Access Consultants negotiated the ramp designer, Clarke Consultants Pty Ltd of Macquarie Park to comply with the Disability Access to Premises Standards 2010 and AS1428.1-2009 guidelines. These include:
- Disabled access ramps and landings to be a minimum of 1000mm in width
- Ramps and landings to have 2000mm minimum unobstructed height with 150mm high kerbs on edges above ground level
- Handrails on both sides of the ramps and intermediate landings above ground level
- Tactile ground surface indicators at landings
- Slip resistant pavement and tactile ground surface indicators surfaces to comply with DIN51130 (R11 rating) when wet
Clarke Consultants Pty Ltd were appointed project managers to ensure compliance with the ramp design negotiations so as to satisfy the Disabilities Discrimination Act.