Lead image: Rally by Sydney artist Nick Savvass at the 2014 Sydney Biennale. Image: Anna Kucera. Source: The Guardian
Artistic Director of the 20th Sydney Biennale, Stephanie Rosenthal, has announced the appointment of 13 curators, writers and theorists who will work with her to shape the Biennale’s 2016 exhibition in March 2016.
Held every two years, the Biennale of Sydney is a three-month exhibition accompanied by a range of public engagement and education programs. The 13 attachés will contribute directly to the broad international conversation informing these programs.
“This edition will be structured around several thematic clusters, with each participating venue designated as a transient home for particular constellations of thought. Each Attaché will act as a catalyst and play a specific role in enhancing these spaces with their expertise,” says Rosenthal.
The 13 Attachés are:
- Sam Bardaouil and Till Fellrath, Co-founders and Curators, Art Reoriented, Munich and New York;
- Geraldine Kirrihi Barlow, Curatorial Manager, International Art, Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art (QAGOMA);
- Jessica Cerasi, curator and Exhibition Manager, Carroll/Fletcher, London;
- Stephen Gilchrist, Associate Lecturer, University of Sydney and Visiting Australian Studies Curator, Harvard Art Museums, Harvard University, Cambridge;
- Anna Gritz, freelance curator and Curator Film and Performance at South London Gallery, London;
- Adrian Heathfield, Marie Curie International Fellow, Columbia University, New York, and Professor of Performance and Visual Culture, University of Roehampton, London;
- Mami Kataoka, Chief Curator, Mori Museum, Tokyo;
- Hicham Khalidi, Associate Curator, Fondation Galeries Lafayette, Paris;
- Pablo Léon de la Barra, UBS MAP Curator for Latin America, Guggenheim Museum, New York and Artistic Director, Casa França-Brasil, Rio de Janeiro;
- André Lepecki, Associate Professor at the Department of Performance Studies at Tisch School of the Arts, New York University;
- Markus Miessen, architect, consultant and writer based in Berlin;
- Aveek Sen curator, writer and Senior Assistant Editor, The Telegraph, Kolkata