Blair Wilson of Wilson
Architects, Australia’s longest running architecture dynasty, has passed
away at aged 83, leaving behind an architectural legacy, a wife and four
Born 8 October 1930 at Kangaroo Point, QLD, Blair was
educated at the University of Queensland where, upon graduating, he received
the Queensland Institute of Architects’ Memorial Medal. He took his first practicing
job at Clifford Tee & Gale Architects in London and also advanced his
architectural education at the Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies,
University of York.
Below: The Greek Orthodox Church, South Brisbane and The Civic Centre and Library, Stanthorpe by Wilson architects. Images: The Photo fanatic & UQ.
On his return to Brisbane in 1956, Blair commenced practice
in partnership with his father R. Martin Wilson and worked on a number of major
projects including the Greek Orthodox Church at South Brisbane, the Stanthorpe
Civic Centre, extensions to the University of Queensland’s School of Veterinary
Science, the Committee of Director of Fruit Marketing (COD) Building at
Brisbane Markets and the Albany Creek Crematorium.
Following the death of his father in 1967, he continued the
practice under his own name until 1971 when he was joined by his wife Beth
Wilson, a landscape architect. The firm then became Blair M Wilson &
Associates. This was incorporated in 1976 and now practices under the trading
names of Wilson Architects and Wilson Landscape Architects.
Below: Then and now; the John Kindler Memorial Lecture Theatre by Wilson Architects.
Other works completed by the firm during Blair Wilson’s 40
years as principal include buildings for both Brisbane Grammar Schools and
Stuartholme School, the Civil Engineering Complex at QIT, the engineering and
education complex at the Capricornia Institute of Advanced Education, Science
buildings at Griffith University, The Greek Club, South Brisbane, further work
at the Stanthorpe Civic Centre and completion of the master planning of the
Universiti Brunei Darussalam.
Above from top-left: The Wilson Architects office, Blair's wife Beth and son Hamilton.
He was National President of the Royal Australian Institute
of Architects (1976-77), President of Queensland Chapter RAIA (1970/72),
President of the Brisbane Repertory Theatre (1973-76), Member of the National
Capital Planning Committee (1976-82), President of the Alumni Association of
the UQ (1979-87), Senator of the University of Queensland (1980-86) and
President of the Rotary Club of Hamilton (1993-94).
His awards include the QIA Memorial Medal for Studentship in
Architecture (1954), RAIA Bronze Medal for Meritorious Architecture for the
design of the Kindler Theatre at the QIT (1974), and the Clay Brick Award for
the design of the La Boite Theatre (1973).
Blair is survived by his son Hamilton
Wilson, who will continue as the principal architect for Wilson Architects.
Wilson Architects recently celebrated 130 years as a continuous architectural