The NSW Government is requesting feedback on its Draft Climate Change Fund Strategic Plan and A Draft Plan to Save NSW Energy and Money.
Feedback will be used to develop three action plans for investing up to $500 million across three investment areas in a bid to aid a transition to a net zero emissions future for the state by 2050.
The three areas are:
- accelerating advanced energy
- national leadership in energy efficiency
- preparing for a changing climate
While both plans will have a significant impact on all NSW residents, the Draft Plan to Save NSW Energy and Money design sector will have most impact on the design sector. It includes suggestions for new measures and policy that will help households and businesses save energy and money.
The preferred options:
- Accelerate energy efficient appliance standards under the national Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards program
- Improve energy standards for new commercial buildings by advocating for new standards
- Provide ratings for homes at the point of sale
- Improve energy performance of tenanted homes
- Consult on increasing future BASIX targets for new homes
- Invest in market capacity to deliver innovative energy efficiency products and services to small businesses
- Upgrade social housing by reviewing and expanding the Home Energy Action program
- Support councils to upgrade public lighting
- Support large energy users to investigate energy savings opportunities
- Energy standards for State significant developments and major infrastructure
- Investigate the introduction of energy standards for common areas in apartment buildings
- Investigate the introduction of energy standards for retail tenancies
- Support councils to adopt the NSW Government Resource Efficiency Policy
The NSW Government expects such measures could deliver up to 1379 gigawatt hours of electricity savings in 2020, reduce energy bills by around $17 billion between 2017 and 2050, and save around 1.2 million tonnes of carbon emissions in 2020 and 3.5 million tonnes in 2025.
Draft Climate Change Fund Strategic Plan
A Draft Plan to Save NSW Energy and Money
Documents will be available for comment until 16 December 2016.
Download and complete your submission here.