Google’s Head Office in South Africa has won the top prize in the International Green Interior Awards, an initiative delivered by sustainable building consultancy Australian Living.
Architects representing Boogertman + Partners, ecocentric and Solid Green travelled from South Africa to pick up the overall best green interior award at the event, held in BMW’s showroom in Sydney on November 5.
The overall winner was selected from the winners across categories including Office, Residential, Retail, Education, Hospitality, Healthcare, Aged Care, Product Innovation, and Students.
Related: The International Green Interior Awards shortlist for 2015
Head judge and interiors consultant at Australian Living, Daphna Tal, described the winner as a well thought-out sustainable project inspired by the contextual fabric of Johannesburg, South Africa.
“Jeans were collected from staff members to create the upholstery. Furniture was made of recycled/upcycled items such as old wheel barrels that were converted into stools. 7500 recycled magazines were used as cladding in the waiting nook,” she said.
“The commitment to using ethical products from the surrounding community and other sustainable products is a wonderful approach that educates others in the possibilities of being sustainable whilst designing a cool office.”
- Google Head Office South Africa, Boogertman + Partners, ecocentric and Solid Green (South Africa)
Office – Large (more than 50 employees)
- Commendation: Lendlease Brisbane Office Fitout, Lendlease and Hassell (Australia):
- Winner: Google Head Office South Africa, Boogertman + Partners, ecocentric and Solid Green (South Africa)
Office – Small (less than 50 employees)
- Commendation: Green Building Council of South Africa Head Office Interiors Fitout, Collaboration and Terramanzi (South Africa)
- Winner: Steelcase WorkLife Toronto, superkül (Canada)
Residential – Renovation
- Commendation: Slot House, ssd studio (Australia)
- Winner: Jill's House, Green Sheep Collective and Filter ESD (Australia)
Residential – New Build
- Winner: Carbon Positive House, ArchiBlox (Australia)
Carbon Positive House by ArchiBlox
- Commendation: The Public Brewery, Bekendales Design Co (Australia)
- Winner: Mamasan Surry Hills, Adam Hunt and Gemma Lin (Australia)
- Winner: V-Zug Zugorama Showroom, V-Zug and Whiting Architects (Australia)
- Commendation: Melbourne Art Book Fair, Fold Theory (Australia)
- Winner: TED Conference Canada, Rockwell Group (USA)
- Commendation: Mernda Retirement Village Clubhouse, Stockland Retirement Living and 6 Degrees Architects (Australia)
- Winner: Lendlease Keperra Sanctuary, Ashkan Motaghim and Intrec (Australia)
- Winner: Fresh Holistic Health, Cab Roto and Fresh Holistic Health (Australia)
- Commendation: Welsh Victorian Townhouse Retrofit, Carolyn Hayles (United Kingdom)
- Winner: Balsa-lation, Nathan Kotlarewski and Swinburne University Of Technology (Australia / Papua New Guinea)
- Commendation: Timber Acoustic Panel, Admonter (Australia / Austria)
- Commendation: Vertical Furniture, Dylan Falecki (Australia)
- Winner: Original Seed, Madeleine Dennis (Australia)
The awards jury includes Kate St James, Universal Magazines; Bridget Taylor, Lendlease; Daniel Ryan, BMW Sydney; Shaynna Blaze, blackcanvas interiors and TV personality; Jason Wilson, Auswest Timbers; Daphna Tal, Australian Living; David O’Driscoll, Brightgreen; Simon Robinson, The Rug Collection; and Billi Hayes, KE-ZU.