Four Australian projects have been honoured at the 2015 International Architecture Awards hosted by The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies.
Works from Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp (FJMT) and CHROFI architects were named among 61 projects from 26 nations which included new buildings, commercial and institutional developments, landscape architecture, and urban planning projects.
FJMT’s Liberty Place in Sydney—a former Sustainability Award Winner—earned them a spot on the prestigious list, while CHROFI were honoured for three projects including their Lune De Sang Sheds 1 and 2 and Stone House project which are all situated on the same site on the NSW Northern Tablelands.
The prize winners were selected by a jury of architects, designers and architecture journalist and included the likes of Thomas Herzog of Thomas Herzog Architekten and Olga Ritter of Ritter Jockisch Architekten.
Christian Narkiewicz-Laine, Museum President of The Chicago Athenaeum and program organiser, commented on the themes and values evident accross the spectrum of winning projects.
“From a diverse and exemplar quality of new submissions, the German Jury in Munich selected over 60 outstanding projects, each speak to new values: Form is no longer to be celebrated for its own sake and architecture in its greatest expression must positively impact institutions, strengthen communities, act sustainably and resiliently, and spark optimism, curiosity, and generosity in the human spirit.”
“The finalists span the globe, from South America and North America to Europe and Asia, and provide a unique insight into world-wide construction, investment, and design trends. The innovative spirit of these projects sets them apart from developments being built all over the globe. Our award winners show it is possible to build exceptional new developments that are profitable, sustainable and desirable places to live, work, and be inspired.”
The 2015 International Architecture Awards received hundreds of submissions including schemes by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, Santiago Calatrava, Office of Metropolitan Architecture OMA/Ole Scheeran, 3XN, Kohn Pedersen Fox, Robert A.M. Stern Architects, LLP., Henning Larsen Architects, ingenhoven architects GmbH., WEISS/ MANFREDI , Mecanoo, Dominique Perrault Architecture, Jakob + MacFarlane, Aedas, and Dominique Coulon et associés.
LIBERTY PLACE, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2013 by Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp
LUNE DE SANG SHED 1, Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia, 2012 by CHROFI
LUNE DE SANG SHED 2, Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia, 2012 by CHROFI
STONE HOUSE, Tarro, New South Wales, Australia, 2013 by CHROFI
Photography by Brett Boardman.
The awarded projects for 2015 are:
- LIBERTY PLACE , Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2013 by Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp
- CORUJAS BUILDING, São Paulo, Brazil, 2012 by FGMF Arquitetos
- PS313Q, Sunnyside, Queens, New York, USA. 2014 by Macrae-Gibson Architects
- VILLA LAMBDA , Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2013 by Mercurio Design Lab S.R.L.
- NURSERY SCHOOL IN HARO, Pamplona, Spain, 2013 by Taller Básico de Arquitectura
- DEVON BOATHOUSE, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, 2014 by Elliott + Associates Architects
- LA PEDEVILLA, Enneberg, Val Badia, Italy, 2013 by Pedevilla Architects
- PARIS MONTMARTRE MIXED USES, Paris, France, 2013 by Babin+Renaud Architects
- THE QUEEN'S TERMINAL, TERMINAL 2. LONDON HEATHROW AIRPORT Heathrow, Great Britain, 2014 by luis vidal + architects
- INNSIDE HOTEL, Berlin, Germany, 2014 by nps tchoban voss
- A SPACIAL EXPERIENCE - LET THERE BE ROCK, Rheintal, Austria, 2014
- GARDENHOUSE.REFUGIUM. LABORATORIUM.KLAUSUR, Steyr, Austria, 2014 by Hertl.Architekten ZT GmbH
- SOOGOOK VILLAGE, Seoul, South Korea, 2013 by op'us architects
- WEST KOWLOON LYRIC THEATRE, Kowloon, Hong Kong, SAR by Moore Ruble Yudell Architects & Planners
- THE TERRACE HOUSE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2013 by Formwerkz Architects
- SEVILLE CONGRESS CENTRE, Sevilla, Spain, 2014 by Guillermo Vázquez Consuegra. Architect
- THE INTERLACE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore by Office of Metropolitan Architecture OMA/Ole Scheeran
- TEMPORARY TEMPLE, Hooghly, West Bengal, India, 2014 by Abin Design Studio
- BLUE PLANET, Kastrup, Denmark, 2013 by 3XN
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY FRANCE A. CORDOVA SPORTS RECREATIONAL CENTER, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA 2013 by Moody Nolan
- MUSEUM OF CIVILIZATIONS, Beirut, Lebanon, 2014 by GM Architects Co.
- THE REY JUAN CARLOS HOSPITAL, Móstoles, Madrid, Spain, 2012 by Rafael de La-Hoz Arquitectos
- MOESGAARD MUSEUM, Aarhus, Denmark, 2015 by Henning Larsen Architects
- EACHWAY CREATIVE INDUSTRIAL PARK, Shenzhen, China, 2012 by GL Studio/Shenzhen University Institute of Architecture Design & Research
- TIJANIN RIVERSIDE 66, Tianjin, China, 2014 by Kohn Pedersen Fox
- HEART OF LAKE, Xiamen, China, 2103 by Robert A.M. Stern Architects, LLP.
- SYLVAN THEATER AT THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT, Washington, D.C., USA, 2018 by WEISS/MANFREDI and OLIN
- SHULMAN HOUSE AND STUDIO, Los Angeles, California, USA, 2014 by Lorcan O'Herlihy Architects
- TERRACED ORCHARD HOUSE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2014 by CHANG Architects
- PINE GALLERY, Mito, Ibaraki, Japan, 2013 by Sakaushi Taku Architects' Office / O.F.D.A. associates
- LIBRARY OF BIRMINGHAM, Birmingham, West Midlands, Great Britain, 2013 by Mecanoo
- LANSERHOF TEGERNSEE, Marienstein, Waakirchen, Germany, 2014 by ingenhoven architects GmbH
- SOCIAL HOUSING IN VALLECAS, Madrid, Spain, 2012 by Guillermo Vázquez Consuegra. Architect
- LEE KONG CHIAN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2013 by LOOK Architects Pte Ltd.
- ELEVATED PARK CHAPULTEPEC, Mexico City, Mexico, 2014 by FRENTE arquitectura, RVDG urbanismo, and ECOstudio XV
- SHIRASU, Kagoshima, Japan, 2013 by ARAY Architecture
- SHAMS MONUMENT, Khoy, West Ajarbaiejan Province, Iran, 2013 by BNS (Bahambar Novin Saz)
- LUNE DE SANG SHED 1, Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia, 2012 by CHROFI
- LUNE DE SANG SHED 2, Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia, 2012 by CHROFI
- STONE HOUSE, Tarro, New South Wales, Australia, 2013 by CHROFI
- SDU UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN DENMARK, CAMPUS KOLDING, Kolding, Denmark, 2012-2014 by Henning Larsen Architects
- APARTMENT HOUSE HEILIGENSTOCK, Wiesbaden, Germany, 2014 by CHRIST.CHRIST. associated architects
- FACULTY OF FINE ARTS, UNIVERSITY OF LA LAGUNA, La Laguna, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain, 2014 by gpy arquitectos
- SWIMMING POOL EXTENSION IN BAGNEUX, Bagneux, Southern Suburbs of Paris, France, 2014 by Dominique Coulon et associés
- MULTICULTURAL CENTRE IN ISBERGUE, Isbergues, France, 2013 by Dominique Coulon et associés
- HENDERSON-HOPKINS SCHOOL, Baltimore, Maryland, 2014 by Rogers Partners Architects+Urban Designers
- FARMING KINDERGARTEN, Biên Hòa, Dong Nai, Vietnam, 2013 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
- SELÇUK ECZA HEADQUARTERS, İstanbul, Turkey, 2012 by Tabanlıoğlu Architects
- FLORIDA POLYTECHNIC INNOVATION, SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY BUILDING, Lakeland, Florida, USA, 2014 by Santiago Calatrava/ Festina Lente LLC.
- DUN LAOGHAIRE SENIOR COLLEGE, Dublin, Ireland, 2013 by McCullough Mulvin Architects
- KING'S CROSS STATION, London, Great Britain, 2012 by John McAslan + Partners
- LH VOL. 01, Slovakia, 2012 by deRaxa architects
- SON LA RESTAURANT, Son La, Son La, Vietnam, 2014 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
- HOUSE FOR TREES, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 2014 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
- SHENZHEN NORTH RAILWAY STATION, Shenzhen, China, 2012 by GL Studio/Shenzhen University Institute of Architecture Design & Research
- TIMBER DENTISTRY, Minoo, Osaka Prefecture, Japan, 2014 by Kohki Hiranuma Architect & Associates
- RESIDENCE OF ART, Dallas, Texas, 2012 by Overland Partners
- HOTEL ATLANTIC, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 2013 by Adrian Smith + Gordan Gill Architecture
- THE ROCHESTER, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2012 by Tange Associates
- ALBI GRAND THEATRE, Albi, France, 2014 by Dominique Perrault Architecture
- EURONEWS HEADQUARTERS, Paris, France, 2014, by Jakob + MacFarlane
- THE FORUM, Hong, Kong, SAR, 2013 by Aedas
- WATER PARK, Hong, Kong, SAR, 2014 by Aedas
- EXPRESS RAIL LINK WEST KOWLOON TERMINUS, Hong, Kong, SAR, 2015 by Aedas
- IZMIR CENTER OF ARCHITECTURE, Izmir, Turkey, 2012 by the Chamber of Turkish Architects-Izmur Branch