Junglefy's Breathing Wall was the winner of the Green Building Product prize at the 2016 Sustainability Awards. The expert judges noted that it was "great to see a manufacturer working with academia to substantiate the sustainability and performance claims of their products", selecting the product from a strong field of five finalists. Scroll to the bottom to see comments from our jury on this industry leading product.
The Junglefy Breathing Wall is an active, modular green wall system, scientifically proven by University of Technology Sydney plant scientists, to accelerate the removal of air pollutants faster than any other plant-based system on the market.
The project, installed in Lendlease's new global headquarters at Barangaroo South, was developed to provide a more efficient, scalable and flexible means of introducing plants into buildings as a solution to poor indoor air quality and thus improving the health and wellbeing of occupants.
It is made up of modules composed of linear, low-density polyethylene with infinite recyclability. Its modular design allows for ease of installation, flexibility and scalability. They can also be re-used multiple times.
The system is ventilated via fans, providing a uniform airflow across plants and growing media. This active ventilation increases the rate of carbon dioxide draw down, and the volume of air that can be filtered and cooled by each module.
The Breathing Wall removes harmful air pollutants such as CO2, Particular Matter (<PM10) and VOCs, creating healthier and more productive environments for people.
It also acts as a sound barrier improving acoustics in open plan spaces.
Resources used to produce the Junglefy Breathing Wall were either biodegradable, infinitely recyclable and could be used multiple times. The modules and X-frames are made from linear, low-density polyethylene making it highly durable and long lasting.
- The Junglefy Breathing Wall is made up of modules composed of linear, low-density polyethylene (LLDPE) with infinite recyclability. These can also be re-used multiple times changing out plants as required. Its modular design allows for ease of installation, flexibility and scalability
- Each module is supplied with a biodegradable growing media high in coconut fibre and plants tested for their air cleaning and filtration effectiveness
- The system is ventilated via fans, providing a uniform airflow across plants and growing media. This active ventilation increases the rate of carbon dioxide draw down, and the volume of air that can be filtered and cooled by each module
- It has been rigorously tested by the Plants and Environmental Quality Research Group at the University of Technology Sydney, research findings on the Junglefy Breathing Wall indicates it cleans the air faster and more efficiently than any other green wall system (or equivalent number of pot plants) currently on the market globally
- It has been installed into Lendlease's new global headquarters at Barangaroo South and will be monitored and included in the next round of research with UTS testing its effectiveness in a busy working office against the lab results
- Carbon Dioxide reduction
- Plants reduce CO2 through photosynthesis, and create oxygen
- Volatile Organic Compounds removal
- Particulate Matter Filtration
- Noise reduction
- Biophilic response
- Energy efficiency and impact on heating ventilation and air conditioning systems
"It’s great to see a manufacturer working with academia to substantiate the sustainability and performance claims of their products.
The performance data derived from University of Technology Sydney testing will reassure building designers that choosing a Junglefy Breathing Wall is actually proven to accelerate the removal of air pollutants and thus help provide safer, more comfortable and productive working and living environments."
The award for Green Building Product was proudly sponsored by Vertilux